Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Connect

Congressman Tom Cole

Representing the 4th District of Oklahoma

$3.8 Million in FEMA Aid to Help Moore in Clean Up

June 4, 2003
Press Release

Washington DC- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said today it has obligated $3.4 million to the State of Oklahoma to fund the City of Moore's removal of debris from public property, public streets and right-of-ways.

     "The City of Moore suffered severe damage from the tornado on May 8. This aid from FEMA is essential for a timely, efficient clean up of the debris left behind by the severe weather. I thank Michael D. Brown, the director of FEMA, for his quick response to the needs of the residents of Moore. Severe weather is never anticipated, but with the collaborated effort of FEMA, the President, state and local officials and the people of Moore recovery will be much smoother," Congressman Cole said.


     FEMA provides 75 percent of the project's $3.4 million cost. The remaining 25 percent non-federal share comes from state and local resources. The FEMA funds are made available under the Public Assistance Program. The State of Oklahoma administers the program under which eligible disaster-related costs are reimbursed to government units and some non-profit organizations in the areas of emergency protective measures, debris removal and restoration of public facilities.

     "We are committed to helping communities recover from disaster," said Michael D. Brown, FEMA director and under secretary for the Emergency Preparedness and Response Directorate, a part of the Department of Homeland Security. This grant provides funds that will help the City of Moore with its continued recovery from the tornado of May 8, 2003."

     For assistance in locating disaster offices, processing FEMA paperwork, replacing documents (birth certificates, Social Security cards, Passports, IRS documents), locating charitable assistance, housing questions or any other need please call Congressman Cole's Norman office at 405-329-6500.

###